Thursday, May 1, 2008

DMA <3 Me.

I keep on getting things from the Dallas Museum of Art inviting me to join. I've only ever been there once, but the fact that I get letters that assume I'm culturally thirsty enough to want to be a member of a museum is quite flattering. The latest letter is especially enticing, because if you join at the Sustainer level you get two free tickets to see the treasures of Tutankhamun. It all seems like a great value, but the problem is this: I don't ever go to the museum. I am not all that cultured or knowledgeable about art, although I would like to pretend that I am. The museum membership for me would be like the gym membership for the people who pay every month for the pleasure of not using a membership. And yet I'm having trouble resisting the call of Tutankhamun, a "glittering glimpse into the life and magic of the ancient boy-king, with more than 130 amazing artifacts, including many that have never before been seen in the United States!" Plus I would get unlimited free general admission for me and a guest, exclusive invitations to members-only preview and events, discounts at the museum store, a magazine, and free admission to DMA late nights. Why wouldn't I join? Maybe if I had a membership, then I would go to the museum more often... stop by on my free afternoons, explore the permanent collection at my leisure, become a more intelligent and better person altogether! I could join the Professional Members League for FREE! Reciprocal museum memberships! Hooray!
Will I be wasting my money, or will I be changed by my support of the arts into a more interesting person? Opinions?

1 comment:

Mrs.Preppy said...

We got the same thing. I really want to join, but Ray could care less. If you join, I will join also.