Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lazy Saturday

Even though I'm on my month-long vacation, I still get a kick out of weekends because they mean that I get to spend all day long with E, which is pretty great. Saturday morning I made blueberry muffins from scratch which turned out deliciously:
-preheat oven to 375
-Cream 1 stick of butter until it's light.
-add 1 cup of sugar.
-add 2 eggs, one at a time, and mix in.
-add in 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and mix
-add in 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of milk in halves, mixing just until moistened.
-fold in 2 1/2 cups of blueberries
-spoon into greased or papered muffin tins
-bake 20-30 minutes
-eat hot.
I really can't eat store-bought baked goods anymore since I got into the habit of baking at home... I also rarely use mixes (sometimes I'll use a cake mix but frosting must be from scratch). It's really not that hard to just do all of it yourself and the taste is infinitely better. And I don't have mysterious bits of soy in my muffins. And if I don't have time to make the things myself, I just don't eat that kind of food, which ends up being better for me anyways.

After the muffins, E and I went for a walk down to a park that's about a mile from the house. We're 95% sure that this park is where we're going to get married.




It's kind of cool because rather than getting married somewhere random that we'd never see again, we're going with a place that we can go back to, and that we can eventually take our kids to. It's also cool because we're planning on making all the food ourselves (with the help of our lovely families of course... if they agree!) I'm currently scouring the web for picnic food ideas. Right now I'm thinking about baked ribs, cucumber salad, caprese salad, fresh fruits, and lots of baked goods. And maybe a giant ham. If all else fails, we'll go with turkey legs.
In the afternoon My mom gave me a surprise call and came by the house to shower us with gifts from costco. Then we went out to dinner with my mom and her boyfriend to an awesome restaurant called Eden Cafe. It's in an old house and they have a menu that includes PB&J as well as prime rib. It's pretty much like they took a look at my favorite foods and then put together a restaurant just to suit me. I think it's especially awesome because you can go and spend $10 on a more casual dinner like a sandwich, or go and spend $30 on an entree if you're feeling ritzy. I got the best meatloaf I've ever had. We'll definitely be going back!

No comments: