Thursday, June 5, 2008

bacon

I spent an hour and a half online last night at cooking for engineers reading about the different ways to cook bacon and the different kinds of bacon that exist. To summarize: the best way to cook crisp bacon is in a 300 degree oven for several hours, on a cooling rack set over a jelly-roll pan. The best way to cook chewy bacon is on a grill; however, the downside is that you can't save the bacon grease to cook with later (which I am intrigued by but have never done). Cooking bacon in a microwave yeilds an inferior product, but will suffice if there is not time to grill your bacon.
There was an intense debate about the quality of American/Canadian/British/Australian bacons, and also of bacon cured with sugar vs smoked and salted. One southern gentleman suggested bacon with a rind on it (the skin!) which you could then save to chew on all day long to get the bacon taste and to assuage hunger pains. I don't think I'm ready for that quite yet.
Oh, and I don't even really eat regular bacon. The only bacon I ever make for myself is of the turkey variety--but I did enjoy perusing the discussions about bacon theory. I challenge you to read the articles and not immediately want a BLT!

No comments: