Thursday, January 17, 2008

self-enforced poverty

I'm doing a little experiment right now to see if it's possible to every meal for under $1 each. When I mention this plan to my friends, they tend to scoff. I'm told that my dream is impossible. Clearly they don't fully appreciate my obsessions with being a cheapo. Last night I went grocery shopping, and for around $65 I got enough food to last me for about a month and a half. How do I do it, you ask?


Beans and rice are my home boy and girl , respectively. Dry beans cost 88 cents for two pounds, and rice is $2.00 for a five-pound bag that lasts forever. Add in some seasonings, garlic, salt and hot sauce and I'm good to go for 4-5 dinners. Peanut butter is $2.00 a jar, jam is $1.50, and bread is $1.09 for a loaf. Delicious. My diet is a little monotonous, but I was able to buy some beautiful and heavenly comfortable Tony Lama boots.
Ok, so maybe I'm just eating this way because I spent too much money during the month of December, then had to pay $480 to register for my board exam. It's easier to cut myself off completely from luxurious restaurants (like souper salad) than to go halfway with it.

2 comments:

Monkey Soup said...

Ooooh! So cool. You should read this website:
http://hillbillyhousewife.com/
and go to the part about the 45 dollar emergency menu. I bet one person could stretch this REALLY far. Good luck with your experiment!

tips: ingredients, nothing prepacked
no meat, way too pricey
check out this site, too:

http://www.biblicalwomanhood.com/supermarket.htm
This lady is SUPER frugal and has all sort of tricks to save money on food. She's so thrifty I can't keep up with her at all.
Have a good day!
ps: your profile pic is scaring me!
*faints*
:)
jenna

ps, come back to austin so we can paint more pottery.

Lauren said...

I've been spending like an hour a day on the hillbilly housewife page. It really inspires me to throw everything out the window and go live in backwoods Appalachia. I made my own version of 5-grain breakfast cereal using rice, cornmeal, flour, oats, and flaxseed (obtained at the local discount mexican grocery store.)
Thanks for the tip!