Sunday, August 8, 2010

creamy pepper tomato soup


The other day I was in our garden admiring its bounty, and said to myself, "what can I make that can contain Anaheim peppers, jalapenos, and basil". then I answered myself and said, "soup". So I did make some soup. and it was delicious. here's what it had in it:
First I sauteed:
3-4 small yellow onions
2-3 cloves of garlic
in a few tablespoons of butter and some olive oil.
Then I added:
about 2 quarts of homemade chicken broth
I (very)roughly chopped up:
4 roma tomatoes
4-5 carrots
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 orange bell pepper, seeded
4 small jalapenos, seeded
1 anaheim pepper, seeded
and added them to the broth mixture. I then added
1 handful of freshly picked basil
1 small can of tomato paste
Salt, pepper, turkish paprika, and some garlic powder.
I put it on super duper low heat and went to take a nap (it's what I do best these days). When I woke up, I tried a little magic food trick I read about from Julia Child- adding leftover cooked rice to a soup and then putting it in a blender to make it taste like there is cream in the soup when it's not there. so I added:
2 cups cooked leftover rice
and used my trusty hand blender to make all the soft vegetables and the rice together super creamy. And the rice trick worked like a charm. I got a creamy, spicy, delicious soup with a good pepper and basil flavor, and it was awesome. Especially with a dollop of plain yogurt on the top.

The only problem? I still haven't figured out a good way to use my immersion blender without leaving enough splatters behind to make the cooking area look like a crime scene.

1 comment:

Karen said...

yum--I want some of that soup:)