Monday, March 14, 2011

Vanity

I'm not talking about the deadly sin. I'm talking about the incredibly imperfect piece of furniture I just made for our bedroom.

I used these plans from knock off wood. And let me tell you my friend, it was a day of misadventures. just imagine many, many skinny wedge shaped pieces of lumber on the floor because I could not for the life of me get a true 90 degree angle. Seriously... what they will do for you for FREE at Home Depot in about thirty seconds took me three hours. I will not be making any more furniture for a while. Here is a picture of me in action, looking like I know what I'm doing. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, but if this picture were talking, it would be telling you a flat out lie.




After I built it (with much help from Ethan), I primed it with oil based primer, waited a couple of days, and sprayed it white with Rustoleum. It looks pretty good in the picture... just don't zoom in too close!



I added a little brass lamp from the thrift store with an Ikea shade. Everything else I already had. Here is a picture of my previous vanity area:



I decided to move the table to our kitchen and shift the bed over about 10 inches to make the room feel bigger and to make one of the windows seem less oddly-placed. Before:


After:


I'm finally starting to like this room. It felt so ramshackle for so long!

No comments: