Sunday, January 6, 2008

i have the most recognizable face on earth*.

*That is if you went to elementary school with me. Over the past year or so, I have been recognized by three different people with whom I attended first grade (Las Colinas Elementary, Mrs. Miller's class 1990-91). I was not particularly close friends with any of them, and only one of them was in my actual first grade class. Two of the people were also named "Lauren". None of them recognized me in the same city where we went to school. Why is my 6 year old self so freakishly recognizable in my 23 year old self? Because I look almost exactly the same as I did when I was born. True, there have been slight changes (eg I no longer have bangs) but all in all I look exactly the same:
The next picture was taken when I was 4 or 5. I was a hipster before hipsters knew what it was to be hip. Now all the coolest people in Austin are wearing vintage t-shirts, high waisted jeans and suspenders with pageboy haircuts. All I need is some non-perscription oversized glasses and I'd be ready to start an indie rock band that did intensely-felt covers of pop songs (not because we couldn't come up with our own, but because we wanted to comment on the factory-production of pop stars and break down overproduced Britney songs to their core meaning, a stark and emotive crying-out for the overmanaged artists' needs: gimme gimme MORE, gimme MORE, gimme gimme MORE! More of what? you would begin to wonder... because that, my friends, is the real underlying question.This shot was taken at the age of 5: I know I look like I'm nearer to 10, but I know that this was taken in San Antonio so I was 5, tops. This is the only picture I have of myself with well-defined abs. I started swim team at age 4 because my sister Shannon was doing it and I wanted to tag along. That's why as a 5-year-old I had such great definition in my delts, biceps and abs. I think this picture may go in my gym locker to remind me that if I had a 6-pack once, I can get one again.
happy new year from lauren losefast.

No comments: